The Witchling Isles
what any islander should know
So here are the basics:
What does it mean to be an islander
- An islander is any indigenous inhabitant of the Wichling Isles. they are often proud, sometime fool hardy, opportunists and very proud of their freedom and individuality.
- diversity: there are LOADS of races, loads of cultures which each developed on their own islands. some races and cultures are more known (like the elves, orcs and dwarfs) but many others exist. this diversity confuses the other foreign cultures, but it’s a source of pride for the islanders. it also means that cooperating… can be “problematic”. also- no humans amongst the Islanders- those are restricted to the Empire only.
- Witches: witches is a term for ALL islanders’ magic casters. they are well respected (if of gratitude or fear). they are divided into some very loose categories, but really- every witch has her own thing going. the foreign cultures don’t have witches, but rather other kinds of casters.
- Mundanes and fighting styles: the many kind of not-witches have developed all kind of fighting styles (maneuvers and stances from ToB only a bit differently) and can prove to be a very effective fighting force.
- Mixed Blessings: the islanders have a strange trait- when they fail at things, or when the chips are against them, they tend to succeed superbly at other efforts. (this is a new mechanic i’m presenting, that will vary the action points mechanic). “the current changes course” they say. the islanders consider this a blessing, and most people have ways of “gaining” their luck.
- Empire: some sort of semi- colonial theocracy that came to the isles some time ago. twice they have tried (and mostly succeeded) in conquering the isles. today their power is unmatched and they control the trade with the Far Traders. they are composed mainly by humans and some sort of subservient dwarves (close but not quite like our dwarves). they have some different ships, better armor, different casters (clerics, wizards and warmages), and recently- Gunpowder! they follow some gods/ masters they call “the virtues”.
- half breeds: these lowly wretched half elves and half orcs are the consequence of the empire attempts of conquest. they are despised and loathed on both sides.
- Far Traders: two strange and exotic races/ cultures that arrived from the west fairly recently. the Vizikian are a strange race of mishappen humanoids who have an incredible talent for inventions and crafting magic items. the Sebbicai are noble looking cat people with sleek ships who trade luxuries, herbs and substances. both trade with the islanders, but mostly with the empire merchants, and they abide by It’s edicts.
- Arkruz: the one city for all races. the greatest port of commerce, with a council to hear the voices of all races. it too is under the watching eyes of the Empire officials.